Monday, May 2, 2016

Aesa's Quest - One Woman Warrior's way

Aesa is a dimiutive, yet spirited and tough young woman. She exudes energy and confidence with her ready smile and intelligent dark eyes. She asked me for a squire's belt signifying that she would be my student and my responsibility. I told her that I would put her to quest for that belt. Her quest is to fight 25 Squires and 25 Knights and ask them all what does it mean to them to be a member of the chivalry in the SCA. Simple. Straightforward. Yet, there is a profundity intrinsic to the simplicity of the quest. She and I get to learn about her and the education will also be both physical and existential concerning the Society for Creative Anachronisms. SCA's armored combat is not just for hulking muscle bound men brooding through their dark eyes and sullen brows. There are no weight classes. No gender classes. No limits. You fight to the best of your ability. The real opponent in this journey isn't Conan across the list field from you. The real opponent in this is almost always yourself. Yes, Aesa is diminutive but she approaches this quest with a sense of wonderment, grimness, audactiy and dispatch. There's more courage in her than I've seen in men 3 times her size. Female fighters are real and celebrated in these current Middle Ages. Follow her here, or at the Shire of Rusted Woodlands in the SCA

1 comment: